Thai grilled tilapia with salt is a dish that makes for an unforgettable dining experience. If you love seafood, this dish is not to be missed! Get your daily dose of protein and minerals as you feast on this grilled fish. Moreover, the grilling method also utilises less oil and is a healthier cooking method compared to frying.
Usually, tilapia fish is used to make fish and chips. But this versatile fish is suitable for this Thai recipe as well. Let us start right away!
Marinade for Fish
- 2 big tilapia fishes
- 1 packet of salt (as much as possible)
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 6 stalks of lemongrass
- Kaffir lime leaves
- 6 tablespoons of lime juice
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 20 cloves of garlic
- 1 packet of bird’s eye chillies
Grilling tilapia fish:
- Remove the guts and intestines of the fish without slicing it open, do not remove the scales of the fish. You may ask your fishmonger to do it for you.
- Prepare charcoal on the barbecue stand.
- Wash your fish thoroughly and pat them dry with clean paper towels.
- Bruise the lemongrass stalks and set aside with the kaffir lime leaves.
- Insert the lemongrass stalks and lime leaves inside the fish. Be careful with this step as not to break the flesh of the fish.
- In a large bowl, mix in the salt, all-purpose flour and water. Mix it thoroughly and cover and massage the fishes with this mixture.
- Rub the salt mixture on the fish evenly and make sure that you coat both fishes from head to tail.
- Prepare the grill pan on the charcoal heat. Grill the fishes over medium-high heat.
- Flip the fishes after 15 minutes on each side. Keep doing this until the fishes are fully cooked and firm. This will take up to about an hour or so.
- Transfer the fish on a big plate.
Preparing seafood sauce:
- Peel all the garlic and start to add them into a pestle and mortar. Add in the bird’s eye chillies and salt.
- Pound this mixture until there are no chunks.
- Transfer them into a small bowl, add in the lime juice, water, fish sauce and sugar.
- Mix all of them thoroughly.
- Serve the sauce with the hot grilled fishes.
Need more food and drinks? Order using foodpanda now for delivery right to your doorstep!