Green curry is a central Thai variety of curry based on coconut milk and fresh green chillies which causes the colour of the broth to be creamy mild green or “sweet green” as to how the people in Thailand say it. Its ingredients are not exactly fixed and this curry is not necessarily sweeter than other Thai curries but tends to be more pungent than the milder red curries. Add in some noodles into the curry and there you have it, a bowl of Thai Laksa with green curry. Check out the recipe below!
This recipe is fairly easy and should take you a total time of 40 minutes. Thai Green Curry Laksa is normally infused with chillies, lemongrass and basil. Vegetables like broccoli and tofu are gently simmered in the broth before they are ladled over rice noodles. Lastly, scallions, bean sprouts, basil and lime wedges will be added in as garnish. Ah, a feast for the senses!
- 2 large chicken breast fillets (thinly sliced)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 150g rice vermicelli noodles
- 400ml light coconut milk
- 1 bunch broccoli (trimmed)
- 150g green beans (trimmed)
- 150g snow peas (trimmed)
- 1 cup bean sprouts (trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh Vietnamese mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 lemongrass stalk (trimmed)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (deveined and chopped)
- 3 long green chillies (chopped)
- 3cm piece fresh galangal (peeled and chopped)
- 3cm piece fresh ginger (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (quartered)
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 2 tsp. shrimp paste
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tbsp. peanut oil
Green Curry Paste
- Roughly chop half the lemongrass then place in a small food processor.
- Add lime leaves, chilli, galangal, ginger, garlic, shallot, shrimp paste, turmeric, cumin and ground coriander. Process until finely chopped.
- Gradually add oil and process until mixture becomes a paste.
- Split remaining lemongrass in half. Heat a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat and add in green curry paste. Stir paste until fragrant.
- Add in chicken and toss in paste for 1 minute. Add stock and lemongrass. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare noodles following packet directions.
- Add coconut milk, broccolini, beans and snow peas to laksa. Season with pepper. Cook for until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Arrange noodles in serving bowls and ladle over laksa. Topped laksa with bean sprouts and drizzle with lime juice. Sprinkle with mint and coriander leaves and serve with lime wedges.
There you have it, a Thai Laksa with green curry recipe made easy! If you find it a hassle to prepare, you can always order a well-prepped meal from foodpanda and have your food delivered to you! All in the comfort of your own home.