If you think pineapple in fried rice is a weird combination that you definitely have a lot of life to experience yet. Pineapple to some people might not be a good combination for any savoury dishes but just like the Hawaiian Pizza has proven that pineapple belongs on top of pizza; the Thai Pineapple Fried Rice has proven that pineapple goes extremely well in fried rice.
After all, Thai food is all about balancing sweet, sour and savoury together. For those of you who are still hesitant, this extremely good Thai Pineapple Fried Rice recipe will surely make you cry for more.
P/S: everyone knows leftover rice from the previous day makes the best fried rice.
- 2 cups of cooked rice (preferably long-grain or jasmine rice)
- ½ bulb of green onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red capsicum, diced into small cubes
- 1 ½ cups of finely diced fresh pineapple
- ½ cup finely chopped cashew nuts
- 1 lime, halved
- Cilantro leaves, finely chopped and another handful for garnish
- 2 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten in a separate bowl
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil or coconut oil
- In a large wok, heat up a generous amount of oil. Once the pan is hot, slowly pour in the egg and stir to make scrambled egg. Transfer the egg into a plate and remove the access oil. Wipe the wok if necessary.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil into a clean wok and sauté the pineapple and red capsicum together. Make sure to constantly stir the mixture until the liquid has evaporated and the pineapple is caramelised.
- Add in the green onion and garlic and stir for another 30 seconds or until fragrant and transfer the entire ingredient into the bowl of previously cooked eggs.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add another spoonful of oil and lightly fry the cashew nuts. Stir for about 30 seconds and add the cooked rice to the wok. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes
- Add the previously cooked ingredients (eggs, onions, capsicum and pineapple) into the wok and mix until it is evenly combined.
- Remove pan from the heat and add the soy sauce and Sriracha sauce to taste. Squeeze the lemon juice and add salt to taste.
- Transfer the fried rice for serving in individual plates. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedge and a side of Sriracha sauce before serving.