One of the best things about Thai food is that every dish packs a punch. Even something as simple as salad, is a complete dish that is wholesome and flavourful.
Unlike any other shrimp salad, the Thai spicy shrimp salad has a little bit of sweetness, a little bit of crunch, a little bit of tanginess and of course, not so little amount of heat. This simple meal will satisfy your cravings and the best part is, you don’t have to know how to cook to make this delicious Thai spicy shrimp salad.
- 1lb of medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup of capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ½ teaspoons of red chilli, crushed
- 3 cups of butter lettuce
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 4 teaspoons of fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons of light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of fresh herbs (mix of basil, mint and cilantro)
- Put the skillet on medium heat and cook the shrimp for about 30 seconds on each side. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. Mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a separate salad bowl, combine the tomatoes, sliced capsicum, crushed chilli along with the shrimp and toss them well. Add in the mixed herbs and drizzle the sauce on the salad.
- Cover the mixed salad bowl tightly and leave them in the fridge to chill overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, add the butter lettuce on a bowl and serve the salad over the top. You can add extra shrimp if you want to.
Tips: It is best to use fresh shrimp as frozen shrimp does not pack as much flavour and juiciness as fresh shrimp does. Additionally, it is not advisable to re-freeze your meat.If you don’t have one night to wait for your salad to be edible, leave it in the fridge for at least one hour. This is important as it allows your salad to soak in the dressing flavours.
For extra freshness, crunch and colour, you can add purple cabbage or thinly sliced carrots to your salad.Only dress the lettuce when you are ready to eat. Lettuce gets soggy easily so it should only be dressed when you are serving your guests.