The name of Tom Yam soup is derived from two Thai words. “Tom” refers to the boiling process while “yam” means a type of Thai salad that is spicy and sour in taste. With fragrant spices and herbs like lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, lime juice, fish sauce and crushed red chilli peppers, Tom Yam soup has a very distinctive hot and sour taste. Now add in some Meehoon into the soup and you have the crowd favourite Tom Yam Meehoon Soup!
- 400g Rice Vermicelli (Meehoon)
- 2 dried chillies
- 10 coriander roots
- 5 tbsp. lime juice
- 2L chicken stock
- 10 stalks lemongrass
- 15 green chilli padi
- 4 tbsp. fish sauce
- Salt (to taste)
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 tbsp. tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp. chopped coriander
- Palm sugar (to taste)
- 5 slices galangal
- 400g oyster mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes (quartered and deseeded)
- 5 shallots
- 20 prawns (shell on)
- Soak the meehoon in cold water for 10 -15 minutes till just softened. Drain and set aside.
Tom Yam Soup:
- Boil chicken stock. Add salt, sugar, tomatoes, and dried chillies.
- Crush and add lemongrass, lime leaves, galangal, shallots, coriander roots, and chilli padi. Add tamarind paste and bring to the boil.
- Add oyster mushroom and simmer till almost cooked through.
- Add prawns and cook till they turn pink.
- Turn off the heat and season with lime juice and fish sauce.
- Blanch meehoon in hot water until soft and ready to eat.
- Add meehoon into Tom Yam Soup. Garnish with coriander and serve.
There you have it, a bowl of fresh homemade delicious Thai Tom Yam Meehoon Soup! If you find the dish too complicated to prepare, you can always order a well-prepped one from foodpanda! Just with a few clicks, wait for your meal to be delivered right to your doorstep.