A Big Breakfast is a popular breakfast food in European countries and America. Components in a Big Breakfast make it a balanced and filling meal. This is great as breakfast should be the most substantial meal of the day.
There are eggs, toast, bacon, baked beans and even sausages! If you don’t feel up to eating at a cafe, you can make it yourself at home. It isn’t difficult to prepare, and it would be great for a family breakfast.
- 2 large Desiree potatoes that are peeled and coarsely grated
- 50 g of melted butter
- 1 tablespoon of lemon thyme leaves
- 125 ml or (1/2 cup) of olive oil
- 4 portobello mushrooms and have their stalks trimmed
- 2 red onions that are cut into wedges
- 500 g of cherry truss tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 8 beef chipolata sausages
- 8 strips of rashers short-cut rindless bacon
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 4 refrigerated eggs
- Toasted sourdough bread
- Mustard, enough to serve
- Tomato sauce, sufficient to serve
- Barbecue sauce, enough to serve
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion that finely chopped
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 400 g can of Italian chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can of cannellini beans that are rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped basil leaves
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Heat some oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and oregano and stir once in a while for about 5 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add some tomato paste, sugar and tomatoes, and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until it is warmed through. Add in the beans, then transfer to an ovenproof dish. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover to keep it warm.
- To make hash brown, dab the potatoes with a clean tea towel to remove excess moisture. Mix it in a bowl with butter and thyme. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add potato mixture, then, use the back of a metal spoon, spread evenly over the base of the pan, pressing firmly to compact it. Cook by pressing it occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the underside is golden brown. Use a spatula, turn over and cook for another 10 minutes or until golden and cooked well.
- To cook the vegetables, place the mushrooms stalk-side up, and onions, cut-side up, on an oven tray. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil and scatter with some extra thyme sprigs. Season it, then roast for about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes to tray and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Roast for another 10 minutes or until the mushrooms and onions are tender, and tomato skins have burst.
- To cook sausages and bacon: Preheat a greased pan. Put in 2 batches, cook sausages and bacon, turning, for 5 minutes or until sausages are cooked well, and bacon is golden. Drain on paper towels. Remove and place them on a plate and cover to keep it warm.
- To make poached eggs: Fill a deep frying pan with some water, then stir in some vinegar. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and water to gently boil. Break an egg into a cup, then gently slide into the pan. Repeat the step with remaining eggs. Cook for about 5 minutes for soft-poached eggs or until cooked to your desire. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- To serve: Cut the hash brown into wedges. Divide them among plates with beans, vegetables, sausages, bacon and eggs. Serve with toast, mustard and other sauces.
Not sure what to have for lunch? Visit foodpanda and discover more food options now!