Dessert is supposed to be sweet and creamy. If you have never seen a savoury pudding before, you should probably add Vietnam into your next travel list. Thit Dong is a type of Vietnamese dessert with a combination of sweet and savoury. How odd is that? You must be wondering. The outer appearance of this dessert is that the beef can be seen inside the transparent layer of the konyaku jelly. This dish is cute to look at as the shape of the gelatin is similar to a half globe. To start cooking, you will have to know which ingredients to use. This serving can serve up to 8 people.
- One small carrot, for garnishing
- One stalk of fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 3 to 4 shallots
- 1kg of pork butt
- A pinch of sugar
- A pinch of salt
- White pepper to taste
- Three cloves of minced garlic
How To Cook It?
- Peel the carrot and cut them into big chunks.
- Peel off the ginger skin, cut the ends of the shallots.
- Cut the pork butt into smaller sizes and put it into a bowl.
- In the pork mixture bowl, add in sugar, salt, white pepper and cloves of garlic.
- Marinate the mixture for about 15 minutes.
- Heat your pan or skillet until slightly hot. Once it is hot, add in the minced cloves of garlic and brown them for a minute.
- Mix in the pork and the stir fry until it is slightly pink.
- Add the rest of seasoning sauce and mix the dessert carefully.
- Add in a cup of water and let it bring into a boil.
- Once the broth is boiling, open up the lid and check for scums. Then, continue to cook the beef for half an hour, the meat of the pork should be tender.
- Add in gelatine sheets into the mixture and remove ginger and cloves of garlic from the pan.
- Place the carrot on the bottom of each bowl or plate. Slowly layer the pork into it and finally, pour in the pork broth until it is covering the pork mixture.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and store it overnight.
- To serve or eat, cut around the table to loosen the jelly. You may eat this together with rice as well.
If you are craving for more Vietnamese dishes, log on to foodpanda and order from our wide selections of Vietnamese restaurants.