Recipe: Tiger Prawn Roll
Image Credit to: Kerin McMahon
Spring rolls are one of the easiest and healthy foods to recreate at home. Tiger Prawn Roll consists of boiled tiger prawn, fresh vegetables, and rice noodles wrapped in translucent rice paper wrapper. It can be dipped with chilli and lime sauces or Hoisin peanut dipping sauce which gives a flavourful taste. This dish best served as an appetiser or as a light snack before the main course.
Even though this dish seems to require a lot of ingredients, but not much preparation is needed. It is a fun dish to serve with various ingredients, and you can experiment with the fillings. Besides that, as everyone can assemble their spring rolls, it is great for a picky eater to avoid the food that they dislike.
At certain places, pork, anchovies, chicken, tofu and even fruits like mango and pineapples are served as one of the fillings. Addition of rice vermicelli makes each rolls a bit hearty, yet still light. Enjoy every bite of Tiger Prawn Roll with this recipe.
Ingredients (makes 24 rolls):
- 100g of rice vermicelli noodles
- 250g of 22cm rice paper sheets
- 4 large lettuce leaves ( torn into 24 pieces)
- 24 cooked Tiger Prawns (cut in half lengthways)
- 1 medium carrot ( cut into thin strips)
- ½ cucumber (cut into thin strips)
(Hoisin Peanut Dipping Sauce)
- 1 large shallot (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp of oil
- 120ml of hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp of smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 60ml of water
- 50g of roasted peanuts (crushed)
- Prepare the peanut dipping sauce in a medium bowl by adding hoisin sauce, shallots, garlic, peanut butter, sugar and water. Mix them well. Then, transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with crushed peanuts.
- In a pot, add about 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add the rice noodles and cook until soft for about 5 minutes, and then drain it. Keep it aside.
- Place the rice noodles, lettuces, prawn, carrots, and cucumber on a platter. Prepare a bowl of hot water to soak the rice paper.
- To assemble the dish, soak one of the rice paper in a bowl of hot water for about 10-15 seconds and pat dry on a tea towel.
- Place a rice paper on a plate and arrange the 2 prawn halves, 1 lettuce, cucumber, carrots and some noodles in the centre. Fold the bottom half of the wrapper over the fillings, fold both sides, and then roll to enclose. Do not overfill the rice wrapper as it may break. Repeat with the remaining rice paper.
- Serve the Tiger Prawn Rolls with Hoisin peanut dipping juice. Enjoy!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.