Tori Karaage is a Japanese twist on fried chicken. While most fried chicken has a similar way of cooking, tori karaage’s speciality lies in the marinade where the chicken pieces are mixed with mirin, sake and a dash of cayenne powder for added spice. This classic appetiser has made its name across the globe, especially in most Asian countries.
This recipe is pretty easy and should take no longer than an hour to make. If you do not have a deep fryer, a high-sided pan will do the trick. To top it all off, serve with a pinch of salt and a lemon wedge for tanginess.
Now, we bring you to the recipe, tori karaage. These are what you need:
- 1680g boneless chicken thigh
- Katakuriko (potato starch)
- ½ salt (kosher or sea salt)
- Black Pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 2 tsp cayenne/curry powder
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ½ lemon (sliced to wedges)
- 1 green onion (sliced)
- Salt (kosher or sea)
- Cut the chicken into even bite-sized pieces (cubes) and season with some black pepper and salt.
- For the sauce, combine soy sauce, sake, mirin, cayenne, grated ginger and sugar. Whisk the ingredients well in a bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces into the sauce and place it in the fridge to marinate for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a pot or pan on medium-high heat until it reaches about 170ºC.
- Place the katakuriko (potato starch) on a separate tray. Then, lightly coat a few of the chicken pieces in the katakuriko at a time.
- Gently immerse the chicken pieces for about 90 seconds, or until the skin reaches a golden-brown colour. Work in batches. For extra crispiness, you may fry them for an extra 30 seconds.
- Place the fried chicken on a rack to remove excess oil.
- Garnish with a pinch of salt and serve your dish with a lemon wedge or Japanese mayonnaise. Enjoy the Tori Karaage recipe!
Options to go with your Tori Karaage recipe? Check out our recipes for Black Pepper Udon or order some meals or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and your order will be right at your doorstep.