Turkish style egg or shakshouka is a Turkish dish that presents egg pouched served with tomato sauce, peppers, garlic and herbs. Shakshouka itself means mixture, and it is a quintessential meal in Arabic cuisine.
Shakshouka can be varied based on your taste. For the cheese lover, you can add cheese in your tomato sauce, or you can even add the minced beef. Enjoy your Arabic cuisine in your style. Here is a recipe for making a Turkish style egg:
- 2 small onions (diced)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 red peppers deseed and sliced
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes (400g each)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1 ½ ground coriander
- 1 ½ ground cumin
- 2 tbsp of coriander (chopped)
- 6 eggs
- 6 tbsp of full-fat natural yoghurt
- Toast (optional)
- Preheat the oven 190 degree Celsius.
- Pour the olive oil in the saucepan. Sauté the onion until it turns golden and soft.
- Put sliced peppers in the pan and fry for 2 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes, thyme, ground coriander and ground cumin one by one. Continuously stir the ingredient for 13-15 minutes. After that, you can put thyme and season to taste.
- Put the sauce in 6 different bowls. Put 1 tbsp of yoghurt in each of the bowls.
- Crack 1 egg in each of the bowls before baking in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Lastly, garnish on top of each bowl with chopped parsley.
Now, a perfect Turkish style egg is at your service. With these easy steps, you can cook this delicious meal on your own. Visit foodpanda to know more about various recipes.