Recipe: Ultimate Crispy Fish and Potatoes
Crispy Fish and Potatoes is the ultimate British dish but was initially brought by Portuguese Jewish refugees in the 16th century. They usually eat Crispy Fish and Potatoes on Friday. This tradition exists because of the Catholic tradition of eating fish on Friday.
This dish is fresh, crispy and tender. To make a crispy batter, the ingredients used must be cold or frozen before cooking. If you had enough eating your usual chicken or meat, you should try the crispy fish and chip to eat with your family. Here is a recipe for making the Ultimate Crispy Crispy Fish and Potatoes;
Ingredients for Crispy Potatoes:
- 6 potatoes
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp of sweet paprika
- 1 tsp of salt
Ingredients for Crispy Fish:
- 400 g all-purpose flour (freeze 15 minutes before use)
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- 1 cup of cornflour
- 320 ml of cold beer
- 280 ml of cold soda
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Lime wedge
- 2 fillet of salmon/white fish (dory, snapper or cod; on your choice)
Side note: Keep cold in the fridge until ready to cook.
(Ingredients for Spicy Mayo)
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of coconut sriracha
- Mix the mayonnaise and coconut sriracha in a bowl.
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices and soak in water for 10 minutes. Then, remove and pat the potatoes dry.
- Sprinkle vegetable oil, garlic powder, paprika and salt on top of the chips. Toss gently to coat the potatoes thoroughly.
- Roast the potatoes in an oven for about 1 hour. Turn over the chips after the first 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over high heat.
- Mix the cold plain flour, turmeric and baking powder in a bowl.
- Pour cornflour in another bowl.
- Add cold beer and soda in plain flour mixture. Whisk all the ingredients evenly.
- Coat each fillet of fish in the cornflour, then dip in the cold beer batter before deep-frying in hot oil for 5-6 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Repeat step 9 for each of the fish fillet. And drain excess oil on paper towel.
- Serve the crispy fish and fresh oven-baked chips on a plate straight away.
- Put lime wedges on top of the dish.
Now, the perfect Ultimate Crispy Fish and Potatoes are at your service. With this easy step, you can cook this ideal dish. Visit foodpanda to know more about various recipes.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.