Uttapam is another famous and thrilling breakfast dish in Malaysia, which is made using the idli batter. The idli batter mainly consists of different kinds of fermented rice and lentils. The consistency of the uttapam is a little bit thicker than your regular idli, roti canai or other similar dishes.
In some recipes, vegetable toppings are added to enhance the flavours, giving a healthier palate. The dish is best served with either chutney, sambar or both.Check out the uttapam recipe below that will surely make your mornings a little better.
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 2 cups of Idli batter
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- ¼ cup of onions
- ¼ cup of capsicum
- ¼ cup of tomato
- ¼ cup of carrot
- 2 tbsp of coriander leaves
- 1 whole green chilli
- Salt (to taste)
- Prepare the vegetables by chopping the onion, tomato, green chilli and capsicum finely. Wash the carrots and then grate it into long thin strips.
- Put the chopped onion, tomato, capsicum, green chilli, coriander and carrot into a mixing bowl and then give it a light toss. Add a little bit of salt to taste, mix evenly and make sure there are no salt clumps in the mix.
- Heat up a medium to large-sized pan on medium-level heat and then add oil for greasing. Remember to swirl the pan around for maximum coverage and to make sure the batter does not stick to the pan.
- Pour batter into the pan and sprinkle the vegetable mix all around it. Spread the vegetables evenly to avoid undercooking in one area and overcooking in another area. Then, add a bit of oil along the edge and on top of the batter to further ensure the batter does not stick to the pan.
- To ensure the best result, lift up the uttapam to check for any undercooked or overcooked parts and then continue cooking the uttapam until it has a golden brown appearance. Proceed to flip the uttapam upside down and continue cooking, again lifting it up to check for inconsistencies and burnt parts.
- Once the uttapam is fully cooked, both sides of the uttapam will look crispy with a golden brown appearance. Take it off the heat and serve the uttapam on a plate. Serve with either chutney, sambar or both.