Veggie basil chicken served with hot rice is an easy and delicious meal. The combination of chewy chicken with crunchy vegetables makes every bite flavourful. You can make it as spicy or mild as your preference.
The most common basil used in the making of this dish is Thai basil leaves. You can find this basil leaf in the market. Basil leaves are the most essential part of this dish as it produces an aromatic smell which makes it irresistible.
Many types of vegetable go well with this dish, and the common vegetables added are carrot and squash. You can also use asparagus, zucchini, snow peas, broccoli and many other vegetables.
The sauce has all the range of flavours where it is sweet, sour, salty and spicy due to the ingredients used. Enjoy this healthy, savoury and spicy chicken dish with a hot bowl of rice.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 chicken breast (sliced/diced)
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of lime juice
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of corn starch
- 1 yellow squash (sliced)
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- 1 scallion (sliced)
- ½ onion (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 red chilli pepper (chopped)
- 1 handful of Thai basil leaves
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- Put the chicken meat into a bowl. Add fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and corn starch then mix them well. Put it aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in the frying pan under medium heat. Stir fry the chicken until it is partially cooked and put it aside.
- Add the remaining oil into the pan. Then, add squash, carrot, scallion, onion, garlic and chilli pepper into the pan. You may adjust the amount of chilli pepper according to your preferences.
- Mix them well and cook until the vegetables are tender. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the partially cooked chicken into the pan along with Thai basil. Stir fry them all together until the basil wilted.
- Serve the dish with a hot bowl of rice.
Don’t have the time to cook? No worries, order some Thai food using foodpanda and get it delivered to you!