Banh Mi is a popular Vietnamese sandwich that can be found in most restaurants and street stalls in the country. The sandwich consists of a fusion of meats, sauces and vegetables packed in between a crusted French baguette.
Today’s recipe features Vietnamese Bread -Banh Mi with ground pork! We believe that the juiciness of the pork will provide a burst of flavour and will balance the tanginess from the pickled vegetables. For the finishing touch, add a couple of fresh mint and cilantro sprigs, and even some slices of jalapeno for that hint of spice!
Ingredients (6 servings):
- Pickled Vegetables:
- ¾ cups of carrots (shredded)
- ¾ cups of cucumbers (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup of daikon radish (shredded)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 450g ground pork
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- ½ cup of fresh basil (chopped)
- 4 tbsp scallions (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Lime zest
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 baguettes (cut into thirds)
- Jalapeno (thinly sliced and seeded)
- Mint sprigs
- Cilantro sprigs
- Pickled vegetables: combine all the pickled vegetable ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside in room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Pork: in a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, 1 tbsp of scallions and 1 tbsp of sriracha. Cover tightly and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the garlic and the remaining scallions and stir for 1 minute.
- Add in the ground pork into the skillet, breaking up any large pieces with a fork. Cook the pork for about 7 – 10 minutes, or until it is no longer pink.
- Then, stir in the fish sauce, pepper, salt, sugar and remaining sriracha.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil, lime zest and lime juice, and let it cool for 5 minutes. Then, add in the mayonnaise mixture.
- Fill the bread with the pork mixture. Add the slices of jalapeno, mint and cilantro sprigs onto the pork. Top with some pickled vegetables and serve. Enjoy!
There you have it – a great recipe on Vietnamese Bread -Banh Mi with pork.