Recipe: Vietnamese Ham Salad
A mixture of Eastern and Western food, Vietnamese loves to play around and get creative with their dishes. If one day you are feeling fancy or you plan to pamper your family members, impress them with the Vietnamese Ham Salad! Sounds amazing right?
If you like something sweet for appetiser or breakfast, try out this special Vietnamese savoury salad. Made and glazed with honey, you can choose to add in papaya for additional nutrients.
This classic honey roasted ham salad is one of the breakfast choices among the Vietnamese community. If you are feeling to have something slightly different from the usual Pho or Banh Mi dishes, you may try this Vietnamese Ham Salad yourself at home.
(For The Pork)
- 3-4 tablespoons fish sauce
- Two stalks of chopped red chillis
- Two stems of bruised lemongrass
- One stalk of ginger, thinly sliced
- Four cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of water
(For the Seasoning)
- One clove of garlic
- One small stalk of ginger
- One tablespoon of tamarind paste
- One tablespoon of brown sugar
- One tablespoon of honey
- Two tablespoons of fish sauce
- One red chilli
(For The Salad)
- Half Chinese cabbage
- One papaya
- 1 cup of rice noodles, cooked
- Half cup of peanuts (optional)
- Four stalks of mints
- Two stems of coriander
- One stalk of basil leaves
(For the Dressings)
- Two tablespoons of honey
- Two tablespoons of lime juice
- One tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried shrimp paste
How To Prepare?
- First, boil the pork or ham. Add in the fish sauce, red chillis, lemongrass stalks, ginger, garlic and water into a large pot.
- Heat this mixture over high heat, once the mixture is boiled, bring it to medium heat and let it simmer.
- Do this for about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 200º
- Blend the ginger, garlic, tamarind paste, sugar, honey, fish sauce and chilli in a food processor. Rub this paste over the pork or ham.
- Pour some water into a baking tray and roast the ham for 10 minutes. Rub the paste again and cook it in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- For the salad, slice and shred the Chinese cabbage and slice the papaya. Mix them with the cooked rice noodles. Add in the remaining ingredients for the salad and toss them evenly.
- Combine the dressings and the roasted ham. Mix all evenly.
- Serve on big plates.
Check out our selections of Vietnamese restaurants at foodpanda and order your favourite dishes today.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.