Recipe: Volcano Fried Rice
Image Credit: alaskaredkitchen
A newer addition to the Korean fried rice family, the Korean Volcano Fried Rice is a more modern rendition of the classically loved Korean fried rice! As the name suggests, this fried rice dish is presented in a way that resembles a volcano-lava. Only, the lava is substituted with scrambled eggs.
This Volcano Fried Rice recipe is especially perfect for when you have some leftover rice from the night before. So, instead of wasting perfectly good rice, why not give this innovative dish a try instead?
- 2 Tbsp gochujang, Korean red pepper paste
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp mirin, seasoned rice wine
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp chopped garlic (approximately 2 to 4 cloves)
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (approximately 1/4 of medium size onion)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 oz ground pork (you can substitute ground chicken, turkey or beef)
- 2 cups cold cooked short-grain rice
- 1 package of gim, Korean roasted and seasoned seaweed
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing measure cup, crack the eggs and whisk it with water and salt.
- Add the sesame oil and ground pork in a large pan and cook over high heat — Stir-Fry for bout one to two minutes, or until the pork turns brown. Pour in the sauce and reduce the heat from high to medium. Leave it to simmer for one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add in your leftover rice. Mix thoroughly until the rice is fully coated in the sauce. Once coated, spread the rice evenly in the pan and leave it to cook for one to two minutes. This is to create a crispy rice texture at the bottom.
- Crush some gim in your hand and sprinkle it on top of the rice. Mix well.
- Using two spatulas or your hands (remember to wear plastic gloves!), shape the rice into a mountain shape in the middle. Create a dent on top of the rice with the back of your spatula. If this takes a while, turn off the heat.
- In the case that you turned off the heat, turn it on to medium-low heat. Pour in the egg mixture into the dent on top of the rice, until it overflows and surrounds the mountain in the egg mixture.
- Scramble the eggs for about two minutes, or until they’re evenly cooked. Serve immediately, enjoy!
Volcano Fried Rice Recipe
If you love fried rice, you should check out our recipes on Pattaya Fried Rice, Pineapple Fried Rice and Garlic Fried Rice! Although all these dishes may come from completely different cuisines, it never hurts to experiment around with your rice.
Besides that, you might enjoy our recipes on other classic Korean dishes, too. You can find recipes on how to make Japchae, Korean Spicy Sausage Stew, Korean Sea Snail with Thin Noodles, Seafood Bean Paste Jjigae, Sundubu Jjigae, Kimchi Soup and more!
But if you’re too lazy to cook, you can always just order from foodpanda app instead. The foodpanda app offers a large variety of Korean restaurants for you to order from. Plus, they deliver your meals straight to your doorstep!
So, what’re you waiting for? Order from foodpanda today!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.