The Wakame Chashu Ramen is a delectable ramen dish that is made out of ramen, pork broth and other seasonings and garnishes. The term “chashu” can be defined as simmered or braised pork.This Japanese-style broth will bring warmth and comfort during the frigid weather of autumn and winter seasons, coupled with the delicious pork that will add a savoury flavour to the dish.
Interested in trying out the Wakame Chashu Ramen? Check out the recipe below!
Ingredients (4 Servings):
(Marinade the Pork)
- 450 g of Pork Belly, Cooked
- ½ Cup of Mirin (Japanese Sweet Rice Wine)
- 2 Cups of Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup of Honey
- 2 tbsp of White Miso
- ¼ cup of Granulated Sugar
- Pork Broth
- 3 Cups of Unsalted Chicken Stock
- 8 Cloves of Garlic
- Fresh Ginger (1 ½ inch)
- Salt and White Ground Pepper
- Pork Marinade
- 20 oz. Fresh Ramen Noodles
- Prepare the pork by combining the cooked pork, mirin, sugar, soy sauce, honey and white miso into a large pot. Pour some water into the pot until the pork is fully immersed in the water. Bring the heat up to a boiling temperature and then reduce the heat to allow it to simmer for about an hour while stirring occasionally. Allow the pork to cool in the marinade and then remove it from the pot and wrap it in plastic. Leave it in the refrigerator overnight. After that, strain the broth using a strainer over a bowl to separate the broth from the solids. Remove the solids and then refrigerate the broth.
- To make the ramen broth, start by adding pork fat into a large pot. Then, proceed to pour the vegetable broth, chicken stock, ginger and garlic into the large pot. Place the large pot above a stove and then proceed to bring the heat up to a boiling temperature. Once the mixture has been boiled, bring the heat down and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once it has been simmered, strain the broth through a strainer and into a medium-sized bowl. Add the marinade, to taste and then add some seasonings, salt and pepper to the mix. Properly cover it with a lid and then set it aside to refrigerate.
- To make the chashu ramen, bring out the pork from the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature. Broil the meat and proceed to toss the meat from side to side to allow it to cook for about 5 minutes. After that, cut the meat into smaller pieces after it has been cooled.
- Bring the ramen broth out from the refrigerator and place it above a stove to boil. Once it has been boiled, cover the pot with a lid to ensure that the broth remains warm.
- Pour a large amount of water into another pot and then bring it to boiling temperature. Add ramen noodles and then cook until it is firm. Drain the water in the sink and then set it aside.
- To prepare the dish, add ramen noodles into a bowl and then pour the ramen broth and add some pork into it, as well. If desired, add some toppings, such as pork fats and scallions.