Xiao long bao, or otherwise known as Chinese soup dumplings, are a type of dumpling that contains pork filling and – you guessed it – delicious flavourful soup! Originally from the Jiangnan region of China, the xiao long bao is a delicacy loved by anyone. Read on for a simple recipe for xiao long bao!
Although very time-consuming and challenging to make, let alone perfect, the xiao long bao is a recipe that is worthwhile and satisfying to complete.
Imagine having your parents over for the next family gathering, only for them to think the xiao long bao’s you made were store-bought instead!
Here is a simple-to-follow recipe for you to try out the next time your parents are set to come over.
Ingredients (40 xiao long bao’s):
- 2 quarts water
- 2-pound chicken bones wings/back/neck
- 2 ounces Virginia Country Ham or cured Chinese ham if you can get it, cut into 4 pieces
- ½ pound pork belly or fatty cut of pork
- 1-inch piece of ginger sliced into 4-5 ginger “coins”
- 2 stalks green onions cut into 3″ pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves smashed with the side of your knife
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin or powdered Agar Agar
- 1 pound ground pork
- ¼ pound shrimp shelled, deveined and minced finely
- 3 stalks green onion finely minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger (use a Microplane grater)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 400 grams all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups boiling water
- ¼ cup of cold water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
Steaming Xiao Long Bao
- 1 head Napa cabbage
- Place all ingredients in a large stockpot except for the gelatin/agar-agar and put to boil. Once it’s boiled, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes without a lid. Use a fine-mesh strainer to remove the scum on the surface. Taste and adjust with additional salt if required.
- Measure out 4 cups of broth and pour into a smaller pot and bring to an almost boil.
- Take off heat, and stir in the gelatin/agar-agar. Whisk until all the powder has dissolved.
- Pour the broth into plastic containers and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until set. Alternatively, you can put it in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Once the gelatin has set, use a fork or knife to cut it into small pieces. Measure 1 + ½ cup of gelatin cubes for this recipe, refrigerate any leftovers for future use.
- Combine and mix all filling ingredients, including the soup gelatin we’ve prepared. Stir to make sure everything is evenly spread. Refrigerate until needed.
- Pour out 90% of the flour and 1/3 of the hot water in a large mixing bowl. Stir vigorously. Add in more hot water, and stir more. Pour in the remaining bit of hot water you have left, and stir until the dough begins to form. Add in all the cold water and oil. Mix until it cannot be mixed anymore.
- Pour the remaining 10% of flour onto the table, and place your dough atop of the floured surface. Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes with your hands, or until it becomes soft enough that it bounces back slowly when poked with your finger. Cover the dough in plastic wrap, and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough up to 4 long pieces. Take one part and roll it into a long log, and cut it into ten smaller pieces. Work on one dough ball at a time. Note, remember to keep the other sections of the dough in plastic wraps when unattended to.
- Roll the dough ball into a smooth ball shape in your hands. Using a rolling pin or something similar, roll it out flat and use a 3” round cookie cutter to cut a perfect circle. Repeat this with all pieces of dough.
Xiao Long Bao
- Place one wrapper on your palm and place one teaspoon of filling into the middle. Dip your finger in water and rim the edges of the wrapper. Pinch pleat the corners all the way around. Repeat for all.
- Separate the leaves of the Napa cabbage, and cut away its thick stem.
- Place the leaves all around the steamer, and let it steam over medium heat for up to 2 minutes. This is to heat up the steamer and soften the cabbage leaves.
- Place the dumplings on the cabbage leaves, and make sure to leave 1 + ½” of space in between each xiao long bao — steam for 12 minutes.
- Best served hot with a side of xiao long bao sauce, enjoy!
This recipe of xiao long bao is great for sharing with your loved ones! Try making some dumplings with our recipe here.
Are you looking to order some xiao long bao but find yourself too lazy to go out and get one? Why not order from some local Chinese stores on the foodpanda app today! The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers straight to your doorstep.