Recipe: Yaki Chicken Don
The Yaki Chicken Don is a Japanese delicacy that originated from Japan. The main feature of the dish involves the grilled chicken that is cooked to perfection. The grilled chicken will then be paired with Japanese rice to create a hearty and filling meal to be consumed. The delicious meal is best eaten during lunch or dinner.
Are you looking to try something new? Check out the recipe for the Yaki Chicken Don down below!
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 180g of Chicken Breasts
- 250 g of Chicken Thighs
- 500 g of Japanese Rice (Cooked)
- 100 g of Long Onions (naganegi)
- 6 Pieces of Shishito Peppers
- Powdered Chilli Pepper and Powdered Sansho Pepper
- Salt, to taste
(Ingredients for the sauce)
- 2 tbsp of Sake
- 1 tbsp of Mirin (Japanese Rice Wine)
- 3 tbsp of Sugar
- 6 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- To make the dish, begin the process by cutting the chicken into smaller and more bite-sized pieces. Remove the fat pieces from the chicken with a kitchen knife and also trim the skin. Cut the fat and skin pieces into bite-sized pieces and then set it aside.
- To produce the sauce, start by stir-frying the chicken fat and skin for at most 5 minutes in a large pot. Then, proceed to add the soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar into the pan. Once the mixture starts to thicken, continue to simmer it and then remove the chicken fat by straining the mixture through a strainer.
- Pierce the shishito peppers with a bamboo skewer. Proceed to fry the chicken breasts in a frying pan for about 4 minutes and then add a dash of salt onto the chicken. Once the chicken breasts begin to turn brown, turn the chicken pieces over. Proceed to add some of the shishito peppers to be fried for another 2 minutes.
- Once it has been cooked, sprinkle some powdered chilli peppers onto the chicken. Proceed to cut the long onions into smaller slices. Then add the chicken thigh into a frying pan and then cover the pan with a lid and allow it to steam-fry for about 4 minutes.
- Turn the chicken thighs around and then proceed to add the large onion into the pan. Once a brown colour appears, continue to add the sauce and let it cook for a few more minutes. Ensure that the chicken thighs are adequately coated with the sauce.
- Then, add some powdered sansho pepper onto the chicken thigh after it has been cooked.
- Mix some of the Japanese rice with sauce and then carry on to fill a bowl white rice and the rice mixed with the sauce. Assemble the chicken breast, chicken thigh, shishito peppers and large onions on top of the rice.
Log on to foodpanda to order more of your favourite Japanese dishes.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.