Image Credit: tripadvisor
Yakiniku Don is a simple Japanese dish of grilled beef and vegetables served over Japanese rice in a bowl. Donburi means bowl, but also refers to the staple Japanese dish of protein, seafood, and vegetables served with rice in a bowl. The term “donburi” is often used interchangeably with “don”. On the other hand, “yakiniku” refers to the meat that is grilled over an open flame. Nowadays, you’re able to buy ready-made Yakiniku Sauce in a packet, but why not try making your own sauce where the freshness and quality are both ensured. Follow our recipe below, and prepare your own Yakiniku Don that is sure to capture the taste buds of your loved ones.
Ingredients (2 Servings):
- 2 tbsp. sake (rice wine)
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. gochujang (Korean red chilli pepper paste)
- 1 tbsp. onion, grated
- 1/2 tsp. garlic, grated
- 1/4 tsp. ginger, grated
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 0.6 lb. beef, your choice of cut
- 1 Tbsp. potato starch
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Green leaf lettuce
- White sesame seeds
- In a small pan, add sake, soy sauce, sugar, gochujang, onion, garlic, ginger and black pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Slice the beef against the grain to 1/8-1/4 inch slices.
- In a plastic bag, add sliced beef, potato starch and half the amount of sauce from step 1. Distribute starch and sauce with fingers over the bag and marinate for 15 minutes to up to one hour.
- When the meat is marinated, fill serving bowls with warm rice and top with hand-torn green leaf lettuce, set aside.
- Heat some sesame oil and vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add marinated beef and cook for 40 seconds, then flip the meat and cook for another 10 seconds or until browned on both sides.
- Distribute cooked beef over the rice bowl, drizzle remaining sauce from step 1 and sprinkle sesame seeds. Enjoy!
There you have it, a great recipe on Yakiniku Don! If you like donburi dishes, try to cook your own Chicken Mushroom Don by using our recipe here. However, if preparing your own dish is too much of a hassle for you, you can always well-prepped meals via foodpanda and have them delivered right to your doorstep.