Tempura is a typical Japanese dish that very well represents the Japanese food culture. The Japanese enjoy eating Yasai Tempura, a kind of tempura that uses only vegetables that are juicy and fresh. In today’s recipe for yasai tempura, we will be using carrots, onions, potatoes and green asparagus spears to prepare this dish.
Follow our Yasai Tempura recipe below for a plate of delicious Japanese snack!
- Tempura batter
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 200 ml chilled water
- 150 g flour
- 1 carrot
- 4 green asparagus spears
- 2 potatoes
- 100g onion
- 1 carrot
- Some flour
- 1 lemon
- Some salt
- Peel carrot, trim off top end, and cut into pieces about 5 cm long. Cut each piece into slices about 5 mm thick, then into sticks about 5 mm wide.
- Peel bottom ends of green asparagus thinly, and cut into thin pieces, each 5 cm long.
- Peel potatoes, remove any sprouts, and cut into slices about 8 mm thick. Soak in water immediately.
- Peel onion, trim the root end, and cut into 5 mm thick slices, making evenly cut slices along the grain.
- Cut lemon, a condiment, into 8 wedges.
- Add beaten egg and chilled water in a bowl and mix well, then add the flour and mix again.
- Dredge vegetables with a little flour. Place a tablespoon of flour on a piece of paper, and coat the vegetables well with the flour.
- Heat oil until it reaches 160 degrees Celsius. Drop a tiny bit of batter into the oil.
- First, fry the potatoes. Coat with plenty of batter, then fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Fry the asparagus in the same way.
- When the vegetables have floated all the way up, and there are almost no bubbles at the surface of the oil, drain off the oil well, and take the vegetables out of the pan.
- Coat onions with the batter, pile them onto a large spoon, and then gently drop into the oil.
- After the batter becomes firm from the heat and takes on shape, turn it over. Once the bubbles at the surface disappear and the onions float to the surface, drain off the oil and take out of the pan. Fry carrots in the same way.
- Place the freshly-fried tempura onto a plate, garnish with the salt and lemon, and enjoy!
Want to enjoy this delicacy but find it too much of a hassle to prepare? Don’t worry as foodpanda has got you covered!