Sometimes, midnight snacks just aren’t good enough to satisfy your midnight hunger. And what’s a better way to fill you up fast, than to eat a fresh bowl of homemade Aglio Olio? Exactly— nothing.
Although the origins of Aglio Olio are murky, it goes without saying that this dish comes from Italy. This easy-to-make Italian pasta is sometimes called the peasant dish, and people say it was invented by poor farmers who could only make pasta from the simplest of Italian ingredients on hand.
Aglio Olio is, without a doubt, the simplest and of the most delicious pasta you can make. Almost all ingredients are most definitely already within reach, and the steps are quick and easy to follow. This is the type of dish you make for months on end when you first learn how to cook because, unsurprisingly, it’s the only dish you know how to make.
Prep time only takes five minutes and cooking time another 20. So, here’s a simple Aglio Olio pasta recipe for your next midnight venture!
Aglio Olio Recipe
Ingredients (4-6 servings):
- 1 pound of dry spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon of red chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cups of coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place the spaghetti in a pot of salted boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes until al dente, or according to package instructions. Once done, drain the spaghetti and set it aside.
- While your pasta is boiling, heat your extra-virgin olive oil on a large pan over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add in the garlic and red chilli flakes, and cook for 2-3 minutes (or until the garlic turns light brown). Remove the pan from heat if the past isn’t done by then.
- Place the spaghetti into a separate bowl, and mix the olive oil, garlic and red chilli flakes into the pasta. Stir in the parsley, black pepper and salt (if needed). Toss until the pasta is coated in the sauce.
- Serve immediately, topping it off with plenty of grated cheese as a garnish on top. Enjoy!
Are you looking for other pasta options for lunch or dinner plans instead? Why not order from some local Italian restaurants on the foodpanda app today! From carbonara to the classic Bolognese spaghetti, foodpanda has it all. The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers straight to your doorstep.
You can read more about different types of pasta here.