Cooking a proper meal in 10 minutes or less seems almost impossible. But this dish, the Gai Pad Kaprow (ผัดกระเพราไก่), also known as Beef Pad Krapow, is a living proof that it isn’t.
The Gai Pad Kaprow is a Thai street food that has become extremely popular around the world. Even its name, Gai Pad Kaprow, literally translates to ‘Fried Holy Basil Chicken’—a true signifier as to how ‘holy’ and delicious this dish really is. The aromatic tastes of the chillies and basil really shine through this dish and will make your mouth water by just the thought of it.
Only being 250 calories per serving, this Thai street food is relatively healthy and also provides a great source of protein—the chicken.
And, as mentioned, it only takes 10 minutes (or less, if you’re quick enough) to make the Gai Pad Kaprow. The ingredients are easy to find and instructions are extremely easy to follow.
The dish is delicious, and also incredibly versatile as the chicken can always be swapped with another meat of your choice (pork, beef, etc.). And today, we’re going to do just that!
So, the next time you’re hungry but can’t be bothered to cook something overly complicated and long—this recipe is the one you’re looking for!
Beef Pad Krapow Ingredients:
- 3 to 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 Thai bird chillies or holland chillies (de-seeded if desired and thinly sliced)
- 3 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 5 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 pound ground beef (450g)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or honey)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/3 cup of low sodium beef broth (or water)
- 1 bunch holy or Thai basil leaves
- Add the oil, chillies, shallots and garlic in a wok over high heat. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Toss in the ground beef and break it into smaller pieces — cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar, soy sauce and fish sauce — stir-fry for another minute before deglazing the pan with the broth. Cook until the broth evaporates and cooks off.
- Add the basil and cook until they’re wilted.
- Serve hot with a plate of steamed jasmine rice and a fried egg on top, enjoy!
Are you looking to order some gai pad Kaprow or any other Thai dish but find yourself too lazy to go out and get one? Why not order from some local Thai stores on the foodpanda app today! The foodpanda app offers a variety of cuisines and delivers straight to your doorstep.
If you love Thai-style chicken dishes, try to cook this traditional Thai Kung Pao Chicken or Thai Garlic Chicken Wings at home!