Your trusted delivery service, foodpanda is back with another version of curry udon – Half Boiled Egg Curry Udon! Runny egg yolk soaking the thick and chewy noodles while drenched in Japanese curry? This dish is a wholesome meal that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face after every bite.
As you may know, the Japanese are known for their inventive ways adding their twist to cuisines from other countries. Japanese curry has a slightly sweeter, milder and thicker consistency, almost stew-like. For many years, it is served with udon or rice.
Fortunately, udon is widely available in local grocery stores, along with the rest of the ingredients. So, if you’re a fan of Japanese curry, give this recipe a try and have a fulfilling and hearty meal for lunch or dinner.
Ingredients for Curry Udon (2 servings):
- 2 packets Udon noodles
- 3 cups of dashi stock
- 2 cubes Japanese curry roux (roughly 40g)
- ½ onion
- ½ carrot
- 1 potato
- 1 green onion
Ingredients for Half Boiled Egg:
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups of water
- White pepper
- Gather all the ingredients. Start by chopping the onion, potato and carrot into small chunks.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the ingredients. Sauté until the ingredients turn soft.
- For curry udon, start by adding dashi stock and bring to a boil. Then, add in the 2 cubes of curry roux.
- Heat the curry on medium-high for about 10 minutes, making sure the roux completely dissolves. Stir occasionally until the curry is thick and smooth.
- For the half-boiled eggs, boil the 3 cups of water in another separate pot. Then, turn off the stove and gently lower the eggs into the boiling water. Cover the lid and let the egg cook for about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the udon in a separate pot for about 2 -3 minutes. Drain the udon and run it over cold water to avoid it from sticking to each other.
- Once everything’s ready, serve the udon in a bowl and pour the curry. Then, gently crack the egg open over the curry udon. Add a pinch of pepper, to taste.
- Garnish the dish with chopped green onions. Enjoy!
More options? Check out our recipes for Black Pepper Udon and Fried Chicken with Egg Curry Udon.
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks to go with your meal using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.