Penang Nyonya cuisine will always have a special place in my heart. My favourite dish, in particular, is the otak otak. The fish custard wrapped in banana leaves can be folded in various styles according to your creativity. The recipe for otak otak is easy to follow with simple steps and using accessible ingredients. Being in Malaysia, I would, for sure, suggest you give it a shot in making one at home for your family and friends! It takes you nothing more than 15 minutes to prepare them.
- 8 pieces of banana leaves (18cm x 15cm)
- 8 toothpick, cut into half
- 20 to 30 wild pepper leaves
- 350g of mackerel fish washed
- 1 ½ medium-sized meat
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon of rice flour
- 1 ¼ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 200ml thick coconut milk
- 8 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 6 fresh red chillies
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3cm galangal, peeled and sliced
- 4cm fresh turmeric root, peeled and sliced
- 2 lemongrass, bottom white part only finely sliced
1. Blend in all the spices in a food processor. Then, add in a little coconut milk for easy blending.
2. In a mixing bowl, place all the custard fillings ingredients and the blended spices paste. Mix well.
3. Cover the bowl with cling film and marinate it in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
4. Prepare the wrapping,
a) Cut banana leaves into 18cm x 15cm rectangles and clean them. Make a couple more just in case.
b) Scald the banana leaves with boiling water to soften them.
c) Cut and fold them into boxes.
5. Place 2 or 3 pieces of wild pepper leaves into the prepared boxes and top with 4 to 5 tablespoons of otak-otak fillings.
6. Prepare the steamer.
7. Steam the otak-otak over high heat for about 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Serve the otak-otak with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Isn’t this otak-otak recipe super simple? I am sure you have come across the typical long folded otak-otak that are secured by toothpicks. For a change, try the above folding type for you can always be creative when it comes to cooking!
For more Malaysian delights, check out these recipes for Nasi Goreng Kampung and Hainan Chicken Rice. If you are lazy to make yourself delicious otak-otak, get them on foodpanda app! They delivery right to your doorstep and you still get to satisfy your cravings.