Recipe: Nasi Goreng Kampung
Nasi Goreng Kampung – Popular Malay Fried Rice
Nasi Goreng Kampung means village-style fried rice in Bahasa Malayu. Like any other fried rice, it is usually fried using leftover rice. You can use freshly cooked rice can as well, as long as the rice is thoroughly cooked and dry. Often, people add dried shrimps, prawns, shrimp paste, anchovies, long beans and kangkung with the rice when frying this Malaysian-style fried rice dish.
Nasi Goreng Kampung is an easy dish to prep. First, blend the spices. Then, heat a wok with cooking oil and stir fry the blended ingredients. After that, add the peeled prawns and vegetables and fry until they are cooked. Lastly, add the rice and seasonings and then fry until they are thoroughly mixed. You can fry longer if you want your rice to have wok hei (a charred taste). Then you’re done!
Ingredients (2 servings):
- ½ large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- 3 birds eye chilli
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- ½ cup sliced long beans
- 1 handful of kangkung
- 2 bowls cooked rice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dried anchovies
- 2 tbsp oil
- Mix (A) in a bowl.
- Heat wok on medium heat. Put in oil and fry the anchovies until they come to a crisp, then take them out and leave aside.
- With the remaining oil, pour in (A) and 1 tsp salt. Fry until golden then add in the fried anchovies.
- Turn heat on high and pour in the rice. Stir fry until everything is even before pushing them aside.
- Crack the eggs in the centre of the wok, and then spread them around. Push the rice onto the egg, and then stir fry everything.
- Finally, put long beans and kangkung into the rice and stir fry for 15 seconds.
Your very own kampung fried rice is ready to be served! If you’re interested in learning how to make other variations of the fried rice dish, check out our various recipes here:
But, if you aren’t really in the mood to cook or go out, you can always order your fried rice from foodpanda instead! The foodpanda app offers a large variety of cuisines to choose from and delivers them straight to your doorstep.
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.