Recipe: Roti Bawang
There is no denying that we, Malaysians, absolutely LOVE our roti canai. It is definitely an all-time favourite! We can eat it all day, every day if given the chance. The great thing about rotis is that you can add on your favourite fillings be it eggs, meat, bananas or even onions. In this Roti Bawang recipe, you can make your own roti at home and appreciate the work that goes into making rotis.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- I teaspoon bread improver
- I teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking soda, bread improver and salt.
- Add water, bit by bit and knead until the dough is tacky but not sticky.
- Add the oil and knead until the dough turns smooth and shiny. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into palm-sized portions. On a clean surface, using a dough pin, stretch out the dough as thin as possible into a rectangle.
- Arrange onion slices in the middle of the stretched out dough and bring all corners in and seal the dough by lightly crimping the edges.
- Place onion packed dough on a pan over medium heat for 5 minutes on one side, or until brown. Add oil if the dough sticks to the pan.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 until all the dough is cooked.
And you have the easy Recipe: Roti Bawang! If you find yourself tired or have just enough roti bawangs to last you the month (this recipe makes a large batch), you can freeze both doughs and cooked rotis for up to a week. This means, whenever you’re in the mood for some of your homemade roti bawang, just open up your fridge and reheat it. You could also innovate more dishes from the ingredients you find in the kitchen.
If you couldn’t be bothered to knead the dough ( a tiresome task, really), head on over to the foodpanda app and have a variety of rotis delivered to you
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.