Check out this recipe for Saba Fish- a crowd favourite. Saba Fish is one of the popular seafood dishes that is served as an appetizer or part of a bento meal in Japanese restaurants. There are various ways to cook this fish but the most popular is by grilling it with salt, known as Salt Grilled Mackerel. Using salt not only brings out the flavour of the fish, but also extracts water from the fish and eliminates any unpleasant smell.
As it is light and flavour, grilled saba can be paired well with many dishes. Follow the steps below for a delicious Salted Grilled Saba.
Ingredients (4 Servings):
- 4 fillets of Mackerel (Saba)
- 2 tbsp Sake
- 1 tsp Salt
- Lemon wedges
- Coat the fish in a plate filled with sake. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Sprinkle salt on both side of the fish and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, wipe off any excess moisture on the fish.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place the fish skin side down on a baking sheet lined with aluminium foil or parchment paper (spray or brush oil so it doesn’t stick). Bake until the fish is cooked through, around 15 minutes.
- Flip the fish over so the skin is facing up, place tray to a higher rack, nearer to the heating element and grill for another 3-5 minutes.
- Once done, take fish out of oven and place on plates. Squeeze lemon juice on fish. Enjoy!
There you have it, easy home cooked delicious recipe for Saba Fish that is sure to make your loved ones asking for more! Pair this dish with a hearty side of Rice Cake Kimchi Soup and you have a whole meal set!