With numerous delicious Vietnamese recipes posted on the foodpanda online magazine, such as Vietnamese Meat Rolls (Nem Chua), Vietnamese Seafood Fried Noodles and Vietnamese Pancakes (Banh Ran), it is clear that we have a deep appreciation for the cuisine. Today, we are introducing the recipe of one of the most popular steamed rice rolls in Vietnam – Banh Cuon recipe! This rice-based delight is best served with some fresh raw vegetables and a dipping sauce on the side. The chewiness from the minced pork, combined with wood ear mushrooms and shallots brings an abundance of texture and flavour!
So, what’re are you waiting for? Use the Banh Cuon recipe below and whip up your version of the rice roll for a light and fresh taste of Vietnam.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 cup of rice flour
- ¾ cup of tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- A pinch of salt
- 3 ½ cups warm water
- 200g minced pork
- 4 rehydrated wood ear mushrooms (minced)
- 4 shallots (finely minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp seasoning powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- For the batter, combine the batter ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until the flour dissolves and the batter becomes smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat some vegetable oil in a pan and stir fry the shallots and garlic for about 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Then, add in the minced pork, mushrooms, fish sauce, sugar, seasoning powder, a pinch of salt and black pepper. Stir fry for about 5 minutes, breaking any large chunks of the minced pork, if necessary. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate non-stick pan, drizzle some vegetable oil over medium heat. Then, pour a small ladleful of batter (about 3 tbsp) into the pan.
- Turn the pan in circular motions so that it forms a very thin layer that spreads across the surface of the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for about 30 seconds. Then, remove the lid and slide the sheet onto a flat surface.
- Immediately, scoop about 1 tbsp of the minced pork filling onto the sheet. Fold in the 2 sides and fold over to form a roll. Transfer to a serving plate and repeat steps 4 – 7.
- Top the rolls with some fresh herbs and fried shallots and serve with fresh bean sprouts and cucumbers on the side. Enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using foodpanda! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.