Korea continues to amaze us with their delicious street foods. Today, we will be exploring Tteokbokki, also known as spicy Korean rice cakes. This street food has a delightfully chewy texture accompanied by the sweet and spicy sauce. It is widely available in most Korean restaurants, but you can always make one from the comfort of your home. Just follow the Recipe: Tteokbokki below and you are good to go.
The sauce is made either from dried kelp or dried anchovy stock which you can purchase from a Korean grocery store or selected supermarkets. It is super easy and quick it’ll take you only 30 minutes. In this amount of time, you’ll be able to indulge in freshly cooked Tteokbokki with some green onions and sesame seeds.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 350g Korean rice cakes
- 150g Korean fish cakes
- 2 cups dried anchovy stock
- 1 half onion
- 3 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 1 ½ sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes)
- Roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion (finely chopped)
- Firstly, prepare the ingredients by soaking the rice cakes (if refrigerated) in warm water for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the fish cakes and thinly slice the onion.
- Then, boil the anchovy stock in a pot over medium-high heat and add the ingredients for Tteokbokki sauce. While doing so, bring it to a boil and stir to dissolve the gochujang.
- Once the stock is boiling, add in the rice cakes, fish cakes and onion. Then, let the stock boil for another 4 – 6 minutes until the rice cakes cook through. If you want the sauce to thicken, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 2 – 4 minutes.
- Lastly, taste the sauce and add seasoning, if needed. Garnish with sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onion. Enjoy!
Discover more food options and order some snacks or drinks using the foodpanda app! Just a few clicks and food will be right at your doorstep.