Recipe: Vermicelli Salad
Vermicelli Salad is a Thai dish that’s not only light and refreshing but also is a relatively easy recipe, requiring only less than one hour of cooking time. The base of the salad is vermicelli noodles, also known as glass noodles, which is a kind of wiry, fine and tough noodles made from mung bean flour. Although they appear white in the package, they become translucent when soaked in water and then cooked. They have a slightly gelatinous and chewy texture, which makes them great at absorbing flavours.
- 100g mung bean vermicelli
- 100g uncooked large prawns (halved)
- 100g minced chicken
- 2 1/2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp grated palm sugar
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 small red onion (sliced)
- 1 spring onion (cut into 1cm pieces)
- 1 tomato (cut into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp. chilli flakes
- 4 coriander stems and leaves (finely sliced)
- Soak the vermicelli in a bowl of cold water until the noodles become soft and half translucent.
- Meanwhile, add ¼ cup of water to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Over low heat, add the halved prawns and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove the prawns to a plate and set aside.
- Add the minced chicken to the pan and stir occasionally until chicken is cooked. Set aside. Discard the liquid which is left.
- Drain the noodles. Boil 2 cups of water the saucepan and add the noodles. Cook for until the noodles are soft and completely translucent.
- Drain the noodles, and put them on a chopping board. Using a sharp knife, cut across the mound about 4 cm apart.
- Add the noodles to a bowl. Then, add prawns and chicken mince, along with the fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice. Mix them together well.
- Then add the red onion, spring onion, dried chilli flakes, coriander and tomato. Mix well and enjoy!
There you have it – an easy recipe of vermicelli salad made from the comfort of your own home. However, if you find it a hassle to prepare your own dish, you can always order from foodpanda and have your meal delivered to you!
Article Written By Mico Hu
Mico is a professional creative writer in Foodpanda. She writes about travel, fashion, and food. Also, she enjoy travelling to new places and also eating delicious food.