Yakiniku beef, also known as Japanese grilled beef or Japanese-style BBQ beef, is one of my favourite types of food. The tastes are flavourful and explosive, and it always ceases to amaze me with our simple it is to make.
Although similar to Japanese yakitori beef, what sets both dishes apart are their sauces. Yakitori sauce is more similar to teriyaki sauce than anything else, while yakiniku sauce leans into its sesame flavours more than the two former sauces.
Not to mention! Yakiniku sauce only contains around 3 carbs per serving, so this makes for the perfect low carb sauce for your meal! Just follow the simple steps below to get started.
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced beef flank steak
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced at an angle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for stir-frying
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Japanese sake
- 1⁄8 cup white wine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat the sauce over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat when done.
- Stir-fry two tablespoons of sauce in a separate pan over medium-low heat.
- Toss in the garlic and onion, and stir-fry for another 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the green bell peppers and cook for 2 more minutes before setting everything aside on a plate.
- Using the same pan, pour in the olive oil and sesame oil and heat for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Toss in the flank steak and stir-fry for 2 minutes for each side (total 4 minutes).
- Add the sauce and chicken broth. Cook until the broth reduces by approximately one cup.
- Add the onion, garlic and green bell peppers back into the pan and stir-fry.
- Sprinkle on some chopped green onions and roasted sesame seeds to garnish.
- Serve alongside a hot bowl of steamed rice, enjoy!
Yakiniku Beef Recipe
Looking for more recipes on barbequed meats? Other than this Yakiniku Beef recipe, check out our recipes on Dakbulgogi and Smoked Chicken Drumsticks on our blog! Experiment with different cuisines and ways to cook barbequed meats and try out different recipes and tastes at home.
Or, if you’re too lazy to cook, you can always order from foodpanda app, too. The foodpanda app offers a large variety of Japanese restaurants for you to order from. Plus, they deliver your meals straight to your doorstep.
So, what’re you waiting for? Order from foodpanda today!